Monday, January 7, 2013

Nagura Stones





One of my new must have tools for sharpening is the Nagura Stone. When I use this stone in conjunction with my other watestones for creating a rideline, the hone line is noticeably shinier with less tiny scratches, even to the naked eye. Because of that, I use it now in all my sharpening and used it when I certified with the NBTSG last fall.

So what is a Nagura Stone and how do I use it?

“Nagura” on the internet is the Japanese word for either “correcting” or “famous storehouse” (depending on who’s blog you read.) Either way, these stones were created by the Japanese of super-fine hard stones that were not suitable for creating a hone. They used them with other water hones as a type of prep stone. When combined with water on your existing waterstone they work to slightly flatten your stone and remove the swarf or steel embedded in your stone. But most important, it the grit of your stone to create a slurry that sits on top of the stone. It does not change the grit of the stone you are using, but enhances it. I have used the same nagura stone on my stones from 500 grit to 15,000 grit with good results. Some of the old time sharpeners I met at the NBTSG said they have been using this stone over the years and call the slurry “sharpening juice.” They said it not only gave them better ridelines, but made the sharpening faster. I found this also to be true.

Rub it in a circular manner over your wet stone. There should be a slurry that has the same consistency and look of  watery milk on the surface of your stone. If the slurry gets thick or darker in color, add water make new slurry. Although the nagura stone will help create even wear on your stone and clean it up nicely, you will still need to occasionally flatten your waterstone in your usual way. I just find I can go a little longer between this process.

There is some controversary bout the need for a Nagura stone. I know when Hap from Shapton was here at the Sharpeners Jam two years ago, he did not encourage the use of the nagura. He didn’t give a reason except that it was not necessary. However, I find using the Nagura speeds up my sharpening and creates a better rideline. It’s also one of the cheapest tools in my kit (we sell these at Bonika and on our website for just $15.00) I’m not sure if they ever really wear out, I’ve only been using mine since June of last year. From what I unsderstand on the internet there are different types of nagura and a great variety in prices. I have only experimented with this one inexpensive nagura, but I have been enormously happy with the results and will continue to use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment